How to Plan a Commercial Remodel for Your Business - Everything You Need to Know for a Commercial Renovation Project
With the growth of individual purchasing power and the emergence of new products in the market, consumers are becoming pickier and pickier when it comes to where and what to shop. A physical store can only stand out from its competitors through unique and eye-catching interior designs and showcases.
Unfortunately, this is easier said than done. For many first-time store owners, it is extremely hard for them to come up with designs that suit both their brand image and consumer expectations, leading many to seek out construction companies. However, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of renovation and construction companies in the Greater Toronto Area; how does one pick out the right one to work with?
To help more entrepreneurs and new store owners through this process, JY Construction has listed a few tips that newbies must pay attention to when doing renovations.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when designing the perfect renovation plan:
- An effective store renovation plan, whether for restaurants or retail chains, should be able to attract the attention of passersby. That is, it needs to be eye-catching enough.
- The exterior design needs to accurately convey characteristics of the brand and products to guide potential customers into the store. This is why you need to choose an experienced commercial design team with extensive knowledge and experience that many home decorators do not have.
- The store’s internal layout also plays a crucial role in maximizing employee efficiency and customer comfort.
- Choose a WSIB (Workplace Safety and Insurance Board) certified team for a more efficient and detailed workflow.
The most important thing when it comes to renovation is applying for permits! Barring basic painting of the walls and changing of floor tiles, most commercial renovations require government permits.
With regards to zoning, structural engineering, plumbing, electrical and fire safety, government approval is necessary. The permit not only ensures that the construction project is in line with the fire safety, accessibility, and environmental standards, but also the health and safety of surrounding residents and workers. If you were found to not have a permit, once there could be major consequences, potentially affecting your business operation as a whole.
“So what do I need to prepare before applying for a permit?”
Good question! First and foremost, you need to find a reliable design and renovation agency to draft the “interior design” and “permit drawing.”
Interior design is a complete set of design drawings containing:
- A table of contents.
- A general description of the design.
- Project blueprints, detailing floor plans, elevations, sections and construction details.
- Construction process and equipment drawings, including the layout and details of water, HVAC, plumbing, wiring systems, lighting and power, and electrical equipment.
- 3D renderings.
Generally, a full set of interior design drawings will be completed in 4 weeks, depending on the size and difficulty of the project.
The permit drawing process, depending on the floor plan and site conditions, should also take 2 to 4 weeks.
Where it comes to permit drawings, there are various types of permits that need to be secured, depending on the details of the project, including:
- Building Permit, which includes personal safety information, as well as documenting any structural changes.
- Mechanical Permit, which is related to air conditioning, gas, and fire safety.
- Plumbing Permit, which is everything related to water and piping.
- Electrical Permit, which will contain information on electrical boxes, fixtures and equipment power consumption.
It usually takes about 8 weeks to receive government approvals. So when renovating your store, you need to factor in a total of 3 to 4 months of design time.
When dealing with permits, there’s a lot to think about; people often miss minor details or get lost in the process. If you can find a professional and reliable commercial design and renovation team early on in the process, all these complicated procedures will be taken care of for you!
Do you now have a preliminary understanding of commercial renovation and design requirements? In our next article, we’ll share some useful tips on how to avoid common pitfalls of the commercial renovation process.